Hello friends!
I wish I were a more regular blogger. I apologize for that!
Well, the past two months have been full of adventure! In August my best friend and I went to Australia for two weeks. It was an incredible trip, made even better by the fact that it was something we'd dreamed of doing for 15 years. There's a lot I could say about it, but really there's just one thing that I feel compelled to share...
One day while in Australia, I jokingly told Lexi that, now that we'd accomplished our life dream, we had hit our peak. "Life's all downhill from here, I guess!" I joked. "I mean, what now? We made it to Australia, what else is there to dream about or work towards!" I was kidding, of course, but I really was a little lost as to what it was going to be like not to have this dream to look forward to. The Australia dream had become part of my identity. Something that I had talked about, saved up for, and worked towards almost since I could remember.
Then I suddenly realized how exciting this could be... What if I came up with a new dream? My mind immediately thought of all the other countries I'd love to visit - all the things I'd like to learn or do. But all of my ideas were too "easy." There was nothing risky about them. And although that doesn't make them invalid, I wanted something bigger. Something that was a little more uncomfortable to voice because it seemed too unrealistic.
You know what would be really cool? I remember thinking. To set foot on all seven continents.
Yeah. That's what I want to do. That's my new life dream. "Even Antarctica?" Lexi asked, when I told her. Yup, even Antarctica. It's crazy. It could take a lifetime to achieve. But it's something I want to do, and I don't want to be afraid to dream big.
And as if for confirmation, a few days later Lex and I were sitting in the airport and struck up a conversation with a woman there who told us her (crazy) life story. She had traveled all over the world, and as she told us about her travels, she mentioned Antarctica.
"Wait, you've been to Antarctica?" I asked, excitedly.
"Oh yes, honey!" she told me. "Many times!"
What the...
It turns out this woman's husband had had a disease which only slowed down in cold weather, so the two of them ended up taking several cruises down to Antarctica while he was still alive. She proceeded to tell us all about it, encouraging us to go for ourselves someday.
It was a neat confirmation for me, and leaving that conversation I was excited by the thought that my dream of setting foot on every continent might not be so far-fetched after all. If this woman could visit Antarctica (probably the most rare and difficult continent to travel to) - multiple times no less - then maybe I can too! Even if it's thirty years from now, at least I know I don't have to become a scientific researcher to do it.
All that to say - I think we all need to make the conscious decision to dream. To find something that excites us - something that, if we could do it (or see it or experience it), would make us come alive - and go after it. It doesn't have to involve travel. It could be learning a new language or instrument. It could be writing a book. It could be starting a business. Honestly, it could be anything.
But whatever it is, make sure you're dreaming BIG. Don't let your dream be tempered by your concept of the "realistic," because if your concept of what's realistic is anything like mine, it's pretty limiting and easily shattered. Your dream may require hard work and a lot of time. It may even take your whole life to achieve. But there are not many moments in life that have been more exciting or empowering than when I accomplished a dream that I'd set my heart on for over a decade.
I'm convinced that when we intentionally, patiently pursue preposterous dreams, life takes on more meaning.
I hope that reading this will encourage you to start dreaming risky things. Don't let the voice of Realistic convince you to settle. Establish a goal and be willing to allow time for it to be realized - the time is going to pass regardless. And in the meantime, dream other dreams. Plan a road trip to a place you've never been. Start a journal. Pick up a new hobby. Read a book you've always been curious about. We have the tendency to become accustomed to the ordinariness of life, but I believe that dreams are a way for us to be intentional about recognizing and entering into the beautiful moments it affords us.
Life is beautiful and dreams are serious business. So be brave, get out there, and live.
No comments:
Post a Comment