Today, Julie Andrews-style, I'm sharing a few of my favorite things. This is a list I made back in October, during a bus ride through Greece where I was so miserable I had to find something to do to keep myself from crying. That story can come later, maybe. For now I want to rest in my gratitude. Even in my darkest days, I can trust in Jesus' UNFAILING love, rejoice in His salvation. He has been good to me.
"How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from
me? How long must I
wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my
heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Look on me and answer, O
LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in
death; my
enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes
will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your
unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD,
for he has been good to me" (Psalm 13, NIV, emphasis added).
So here they are, in no particular order. A few of my favorite things...
_______________________________________________________________________
The
first day of summer break. The smell of an old book. Laughing til your stomach
hurts.
Waking up thinking it’s time to get up and realizing it isn’t. Sunsets
over water. ENO hammocks.
Homemade salsa. Being barefoot in lush grass. Family
around the dinner table.
Little ones falling asleep on you. Road trips. A kiss
on the forehead. Old people holding hands.
Brick and ivy. A hot drink after a
cold walk. Nerf gun fights. Laundry right out of the dryer.
Homemade spring rolls. Purchasing a
plane ticket. Unexpected hugs from people you love.
Giving the perfect gift. Absolute silence. Exploring a new city with no agenda. Lake life.
Pajama days. Your dog falling asleep on your feet. Pumpkin bread. Camping.
Reading late at night. The smell little kids get when they've been playing outside. Front porch swings.
Reading classics. Late night
breakfast burrito runs. Sleepovers. The cool side of the pillow.
Rooftops on
summer nights. Sledding on a snow day. The first egg nog of Christmas season.
Finding the exact word you’ve been looking for. Sunlight through trees. Watching the Olympics.
Shadow puppets. Rosemary and Olive Oil Pringles. Ultimate Frisbee with friends.
Hearing your favorite song on the radio. Good
hair days. Italian being spoken. Tubing.
Warm blankets and movie nights. Sidewalk chalk. Swinging. Friends that feel like family.
Climbing trees. Puppies. Walking in your front door after a long trip. Fresh food.
Black shutters and
green doors. Giant backyards. Cello music. Small town friendly waves.
Life
stories. Rainy afternoons. Inky hands. Mysterious keys. A full tank of gas.
Kindred spirits. Rugby on TV. Doner kebabs. Roller coasters and water slides. Jet skis.
Horseradish/Wasabi competitions. Your favorite jeans. Finding money
in a random coat pocket.
Turning a bend and seeing the ocean. Welcome to
Colorful Colorado. Giant scarves.
Yogurt, granola and fresh berries. Italian
food in Italy. Sunday afternoon naps. Popsicles.
Walking in a crowd of strangers all
speaking a language you don’t understand. Merry-go-rounds.
Card games. Holding
hands. Building and playing in forts. Boys cooking/cleaning up in the kitchen.
Singing at the top of your lungs while driving. Down comforters. Sonic Cherry
Limeades.
Watching The Office. Stones made perfectly smooth by water. Green
Machine Naked juice.
Tears of joy. Spotting the first green buds on trees and
bushes. The smell and sound of rain.
Moonlight. Hand-written notes. Reading at
a coffee shop. Chipotle burritos.
Christmas morning squeals. Power naps. The first juicy watermelon of the summer.
Being
best friends with your siblings. Baby name books. The Beatles. A full journal.
Money
on a gift card you thought was empty. Inside jokes. Pasta carbonara.
Finding
your bed already made after washing the sheets. Thrift shop “steals.” White
Christmases.
Burt’s Bees lip balm. Chai tea. Wedding invitations. Extra-thick
oatmeal. Australian accents.
Papa’s laugh. Full bookshelves. Finishing a paint
job. Putting on sweatpants after a long day.
A familiar face in a crowd of
strangers. Grapefruit juice. The ocean. Armchairs that swallow you.
Using all the ink in a pen. Flowered window terraces. Big dogs.
No comments:
Post a Comment