Thursday, October 25, 2012

Risky

I'm reading through Luke and can't get over what a radical man Jesus was (and is). At times, looking at his life and words makes me uncomfortable - I feel like the people from the Gerasenes, who after seeing what he had done in the life of the man afflicted by demons, "got together and asked Jesus to leave - too much change, too fast, and they were scared" (Luke 8:37).

Being a Christ-follower is scary. And yet, as I've been reading, I've also found extreme comfort in this man I love so much. I trust him... or at least I'm learning to. There are days when its easy, when I've watched him feed the five thousand and I realize that he is so much bigger than the problems I put in front of him. But there are also days when a storm is threatening to capsize my boat and he seems far too calm about it!

Today I'm challenged to trust Jesus more. He never fails to comes to my side, silence the storm and ask once again, 

"Why can't you trust me?"

Over and over he listens to me explain that the crowds are too big and the need is too vast, and he responds with the terrifying challenge, "You feed them." 

And yet, he never turns me away. He never abandons me to the storm and he never asks me to meet the enormous need alone. He's right there in the middle of every one of my messes, and for that I am learning to trust him. 

This morning as I read the story of the bleeding woman in Luke 8, I was moved by the way Jesus met the woman's desperation with such compassion and grace. When she admits to touching him and receiving his healing, he said something that wrecks me.

"Daughter, you took a risk trusting me,
and now you're healed and whole.
Live well, live blessed!"
~ Luke 8:48

Trusting Jesus is risky. With each passing season of my faith I recognize that more and more! But I am encouraged by his response to my messy attempts.

This I know. Jesus is worth my trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment