Sunday, January 2, 2011

Some Food For Thought

Sometimes when I'm reading and don't have anything to write on, I put the thought-provoking quotes I find in my phone. I decided to share them with you, simply because I don't feel like writing an entire blog post tonight. Here they are.

"There have been some who were so occupied in spreading Christianity that they never gave a thought to Christ." ~ C.S. Lewis

Reading this challenged me. I want to be in love with the person of Christ, not the idea of Christianity.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer." ~ Psalm 19:15

There are a lot of Psalms that I love, but this is definitely one of my favorites. I hope that my life is spent bringing pleasure to Him first.

"The life that asserts 'God and I are enough' is only in fact hindering Him." ~ Watchman Nee

We were created for authentic community, Christian or not. I want to be someone who not only allows God to use others to sharpen me, but who God uses to show His love to others.

"True prayer begins at the heart of God, is made known to the hearts of men, is prayed back to God again, and God answers." ~ Watchman Nee

I love this. So often I forget that prayer is supposed to be about relationship. It's a conversation, and the pressure is not for me to come up with the right thing to say, it's to listen.

"Agape doesn't love somebody because they're beautiful. Agape loves in such a way that it makes them beautiful." ~ Rob Bell

Agape is the Greek word for the way God loves us. It is also the way we are called to love others. This quote overwhelmed me, giving me a sense of awe for who God has made me as His daughter, and the responsibility I have now to live as such.

"There are two reasons for loving God: no one is more worthy of our love, and no one can return more in response to our love." ~ Bernard of Clairvaux

This reminds of me of a song by Michael Card that I heard when I was little. One of the lyrics said of God that He "could not love more, and would not love less." I am thankful both for the right to love Him as Father, and the knowledge that I am so deeply and irreversibly loved in return.

That's all I have for now. Most of the other quotes I put in my phone, I later used as Facebook statuses, so I didn't have too many in there anymore. I'm sure there will be more to come, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment